Credit: recipe and photos by Chef Sofia Beleri of Fotia Greek Restaurant in Singapore
AT A GLANCE
Preparation Time: 25 min
Proofing: 45 min
Cooking / Baking Time: 20-25 min
Servings: x 7
250 ml warm water
20 g dry yeast
15 g sugar
3 g salt
50 g Tahini
50 ml extra virgin olive oil
For the Syrup
220 g sugar
150 g Greek raw honey
250 ml water
Plenty of Sesame to cover
- Use the mixing bowl from your mixer. Add the water and yeast and mix with a spoon until the yeast has dissolved. Let it rest for 5-6 minutes until the yeast becomes foamy.
- Combine in a bowl the tahini and the extra virgin olive oil
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mixing bowl (Schar Mix B Gluten Free Bread Mix flour, sugar salt and tahini + extra virgin olive oil mix).
- Beat them, using the hook attachment, on medium/high for about 7-8 min
- Grease a bowl with oil and add the dough. Place in an oven at 30*C (fan) with a bowl of water (or with set your oven to 30% humidity) for about 45min until it doubles in size.
- Remove from oven and preheat the oven to 200*C (fan)
- For the syrup topping, combine the water, sugar, honey and mix until all ingredients dissolve.
- Place the sesame seeds in a separate bowl.
- Add some flour on your working surface before setting down the dough. Cut into about 7 pieces
- Form smooth balls. Knead each ball by hand, into a long roll and bring the two edges together to form a circle. (ideally all are similar size and shape!)
- Dip each Koulouri into the bowl with the syrup and directly into the bowl with sesame seeds.
- Place on a pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 20-15min minutes, until golden.
- To eat hot or at room temperature, and to serve as is or with different cheeses, dips or jam!