For the sponge cake
400 g Schar Gluten Free Mix It Universal Flour!
90 g cocoa powder
6 tsp (gf) baking powder
300 g butter at room temperature
330 g caster sugar
6 large eggs, beaten
4 1/2 tbsp milk
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
500 g butter at room temperature
1.2 kg icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp milk
150 g dark chocolate
75 g cocoa powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°/150°C Fan/Gas Mark 3.
- Place the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and beat well for 1-2 minutes using an electric mixer, until the mixture is light and pale.
- Add the remaining sponge ingredients and mix for a further 2 minutes.
- Place into two round 20cm cake tins that have been greased and base-lined with baking parchment
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Leave in the tins until the sponge has cooled before turning out onto a cooling rack.
To make the buttercream and decorate:
- Beat together the butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract and milk until soft. Place 2 generous tablespoons of mixture in one bowl and 4 into another (the smaller amount for the cake topping and the rest for the cake filling).
- Crumble 4 Chocolate O’s into the buttercream to make the filling. Spread evenly between the sponge layers.
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of hot water or carefully melt in a microwave.
- Pour the chocolate into the remaining buttercream and mix well. Add more milk if necessary to achieve a soft consistency. Spread this over the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate the top of the cake with your choice of Schar Gluten Free Biscuits
- 16-17 Chocolate O’s are required to decorate the base of the cake.